Friday, August 3, 2012

Surgery over for SR

Today was a long day...and my little champ handled it like a star.  Today SR got her ear tubes.  Last Friday, she came down with another new cold.  We went to the pediatrician on Sunday and again on Wednesday - there was no improvement and he had said to come back.  I was really hoping her surgery wouldn't be cancelled and we'd have to come back again in three months.  Luckily, they still took her.

But surgery time wasn't until 1pm and she wasn't allowed to eat from midnight the night before - this put me in a bit of a dilemma.  She eats dinner around 5:15 and has her milk before bed around 6:45.  I was wondering last night if I should wake her at 11:30 for a bowl of cheerios.  I decided not to - she really needed her sleep as she was fighting this cold and I didn't know if she would get back down to bed.

I did tell her last night before bed that when she woke up this morning, she would not have her milky - she would only get to have apple juice and jello.  Neither of those foods are in her food groups, but I have been working with her to get her to enjoy them.  When she woke up this morning (later than usual - 7:15) she cried for her milky.  I gently reminded her that today we were having apple juice and she could drink it in mommy's bed and we would watch Dora.  That worked fine.  Shortly after, she did not ask for her cheerios and strawberries like she usually does.  Scarlett asked for her jello.  She remembered what I said the night before.

I managed to get her all the way to 10 am without any fuss - I tried to get her to take a little more jello and apple juice and water at 10 am b/c that was the cut-off point.  Nothing in the mouth after that time.

My dad went with us to the hospital - he also paid for parking, which was super nice.  Again, SR was terrific.  She played, read books, walked around, watched Dora on my telephone - I downloaded episodes for her.  She put up a bit of a fuss when I went to change her into her gown, but then she was fine again.  I couldn't believe how great she was being.

I'm wearing my "sleevie" but these aren't my pyjamas.  

By 1pm, she had missed her milk, two meals, and a snack, and her NAP....but right before they came for her, she got her second wind and was walking around the waiting room and talking up a storm.  The nurse came to get her and she gave my dad a high-five and said, "see you later".  I carried her as far as I was allowed, and then the nurse took her from me - this was where it got hard.  She started crying and screaming, "mommy, mommy"...and there I was, a blubbering fool crying after her.

I had enough time to run out to the hall, take a quick pee break and wolf down my peanut butter sandwich (that my mom made for me before I went).  Within those few minutes, the doctor met me at the waiting room door to tell me the surgery was over.  It turns out, SR had another double ear infection.  It was very lucky that we got this appointment now and not had to take more antibiotics.
I am not fond of dresses.  Can I take this off?

The recovery room was brutal - think about it:  this little baby hadn't had her nap and she was only able to sleep for ten minutes and then was woken up and groggy - hysterical doesn't even begin to cover it.  I felt bad b/c it was a recovery room for all patients waking from surgery and there weren't even curtains...there were grown men and women in the room with my screaming baby.

When I got her home, she went straight to bed - I woke her just before five to have some dinner and drink and Advil.

She's calling to me now from her room - I love the sound of "mommy".  I guess she's not ready to sleep, but I'll leave her for now b/c she's just babbling and sometimes she says mommy to her doll, Kaiya.

I have to put ear drops in twice a day - hopefully that will get easier b/c tonight it was awful.  But her ears are probably very tender as there is discharge and blood coming out.  I'm just hoping that this procedure helps her with her hearing and not getting so sick anymore.

A quick side note - my u/s showed that my uterus is clear.  My beta test showed my HCG dropped to the 300s (I didn't pay attention like I normally do to the numbers).  My RE said I should get a period within a week of hitting zero or he will bring one on.  I'll test again on Wednesday and we'll go from there.

Now I need to catch up on all of your blogs....I feel so out of the loop when I don't turn on my computer.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like surgery went well, hope she has a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad her surgery went wel but sounds like it was a tough day. Hope she continues to recover well - no more ear infections!

      Delete
  2. Wow--that recovery room does sound brutal. But what do they expect from a toddler? I sure hope Scarlett is feeling better very soon--sounds like she had a rough week :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're on the tail end of this tough day and have SRs surgery done! This is gonna help SO much with the ear infections and fluid in her ears! We were so lucky with Carys - being only 8 months old and her surgery was at 7:30ish in the morning. I can't imagine having to do no food for that long. I hope everything - SR's ears and your TTC - get back on track and you both have some very good health and luck come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what an ordeal to have to go through. Glad it went well, hope she has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you did it! It must have been so hard to walk your precious girl to surgery! I would have been a blubbering idiot. Glad she's doing alright & here's to know more ear infections!!

    ReplyDelete