Friday, January 4, 2013

The lights are on...

SR now knows she can reach the light switch from her crib.  This has made for an interesting day.  I usually let her turn off the lights from me carrying her over to the switch before putting her in her crib.  This afternoon at nap time, she pointed to the switch - as in, "Hey mom, look what I realized is actually within reach."  Nap time this afternoon took FOREVER.  My good sleeper was enthralled with turning on the lights and then calling me to come to her.  It was 3:30 when she finally went down, and I woke her at 5 to take her to my parents' for dinner.  She was not happy.  SR is a 2 hour napper.  1 1/2 hours was definitely not long enough. But it was late enough to throw off our night.  I had to keep her up later.  And then when I did she kept turning on her light and calling to me.  So now it's 10:00 p.m. and my 7:30 to bed toddler is finally quiet.  Does this mean there is a sleep in on the horizon?

In other news, SR woke up the other night and asked for some water.  I made the mistake of taking her out of her crib.  She noticed out the dining room window that it was snowing - everything was illuminated.  So, at 1:15 in the morning, she starts to talk:  "I put on my snowpants.  Then I put on my boot.  Then I put on my other boot.  Then I put on my scarf.  Then I put on my hat.  Then I put on my jacket.  Then I put on my mittens.  Then I go outside to the park and go on the stairs.  Then I sit on the slide and go "wheeeee!".

At first I was fascinated.  She just turned two and does sequencing beautifully.  But the grade 3 teacher in me wondered how I could teach her transition words, or other words for "Then".  What is the matter with me?  She's 2!!!

We got on the elevator yesterday and someone asked her what her name was.  She responded with, "S-C-A-R..." and the man said, "What is your name?"  I said to him, "She's spelling it for you."  I'm not all that comfortable with everyone asking her her name, and her telling everyone.  Especially because she often says her first and last name together.  I don't need complete strangers knowing her complete name.  And there will come a time when I will have to teach her stranger danger.  The cutest is when on the elevator, someone will start speaking to her and she responds with "I'm shy," and then hides behind my legs.

Okay, off to read a few blogs and then get to sleep.  Two more days of holidays and I'm dreading going back to work.  When is the next break?  When is my next ultrasound that I am off for the afternoon - 2 1/2 more weeks...I can do it!

5 comments:

  1. That is so precious! Can you have Scarlett teach Elena how to talk? I'm not looking for much...currently the only clear word is Momma...everything else is jibberish. Da can mean doll, Dora, done, again...it's all in her inflection to try to decipher what she's saying!!!

    I hate that you have to go back to work with the political climate we've got going on here :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like she really loves to play in the snow! Just curious, why is she starting kindergarten at 3.5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior kindergarten starts at age four but goes by calendar year. She needs to be four before January. She'll be four on Dec. 28. And she likes to look at the snow and talk about the snow, but once we were bundled up and outside today she asked to go inside 15 minutes later. She didn't like that she kept falling and couldn't get up. Not to mention how tiring it is to walk in boots and snow pants.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for teachers' kids! They are so smart! (But yes, I get what you mean about stranger danger. I hate that we have to teach them about that, but we do.)

    ReplyDelete