It's 6:42 am and I need to get ready for work before SR gets up and I have to get her ready and out the door. I just had a couple of minutes to write a quick update.
I have one week left of school.
Just over one week until baby boy arrives - July 2nd.
Baby boy is weighing approx. 6 lbs, 11 oz. They predict by July 2nd he will be 7 lbs, 11 oz. If I make it til then I'm curious to know if they are correct.
I have ONE very swollen foot - as I did with SR, but it's gotten to the point where it gets painful to walk and when I take off my flip flops (as those are the only shoes my foot fits into), the fluid pools into the front part of my foot and I can't move my toes.
My OB sent me downstairs to the u/s lab for a doppler yesterday, but they can't see me until Wednesday - if it is a blood clot, that would be too late...it's probably not a blood clot. Now I have a new requisition to go to the hospital, so I'm hoping they can fit me in today - I just haven't booked a supply teacher yet as I don't know when I can get an appointment...and there is a shortage of supply teachers so it means there will have to be internal coverage at school.
If there is anything wrong with my foot, baby boy will come early - as this is the same week SR was delivered (but only b/c my OB was going on vacation). He did ask me yesterday if I just want to deliver early, but I want to finish off my school year - and really, I'm not ready yet - but will I even be ready next week?
SR has had some difficulties this week - she is struggling going down to sleep. She is struggling going into the classroom at school. She is struggling during nap time at school. I think as much as she talks about being a big sister, and talks about sleeping at her grandparents' house when mommy has baby brother, she is dealing with a lot of potential changes.
I have left her daycare most days in tears. I haven't been happy with how one of the teachers has been dealing with the drop off, although I know they are the "experts" and think they are doing what is best. The shifts are always different from week to week, and they combine the toddlers and preschoolers in one room during drop off because there are less kids and less staff. This week it has been one of the preschool teachers greeting at the classroom in the morning. She is LOVELY and SR really likes her. I have always been excited about her going into the preschool room with her.
But SR has not been happy in the mornings. She's called "huggies" and she's cried and cried. At first I thought it was her dealing with me and the new baby coming. The teacher kept saying, "this happens with potty training." I said, "it's not about potty training. She's barely potty training. It's the new baby coming." And so she lifts her from my arms and says "don't come in, it just makes it harder on her and she will expect you to take her back all the time."
Except my baby doesn't react this way at school - she will sometimes put on a good show that she doesn't want me to leave, but then she happily goes inside to play. The other day, as she was lifted from my arms, SR arched her back and banged her head on the metal door frame. I immediately asked for her back. She is still my baby.
Once she is in the room, I stand just to the side of the room, usually crying and crying. How will I cope when I am in the hospital for three days and don't see her at all????? I can't stand the thought of that.
Yesterday morning, I asked her why she is crying in the mornings and she said the names of two of her teachers - neither of whom were on the early shift at daycare this week. So yesterday we went in a few minutes later than normal and one of those two teachers was in the room. SR was thrilled. She hugged me and skipped and jumped right in and right over to the teacher. Once again, I know my child.
Oh, one final update - I don't think I explained that I asked at my "parent/teacher" conference what the particular teacher meant when she said SR was "too sensitive." I was in the room with the ECE (main) teacher, and the one who made the comment. The teacher who made the comment explained that because SR is so clear with her language and can speak and explain everything perfectly, she EXPECTS that she is able to use her words and explain exactly how she is feeling all the time and not cry. For example, if someone takes her toy away.
I am very glad the ECE was in the room - she seemed mortified by that comment - as did I! I said, "even though she speaks beautifully, she is still 2!!!!! She doesn't have to always express herself perfectly." I don't want her to have to live up to some weird expectations that she needs to act like a school aged child. She's only 2. She is allowed to cry when something upsets her. A gentle reminder to use her words is usually all she needs. But she is 2! I'm so glad I mentioned that.
SR is starting to stir. It's almost 7. I'm not dressed. And I need to get her ready. I have to phone the hospital at 8 sharp to try to get an appointment for my foot.
I'm still lurking and reading your posts....I wish I had more time/energy to blog regularly. I have so much going on and so much to write about.
I'll end with this one...SLEEP DEPRIVATION IS THE WORST.
You do have so much going on--and you are handling it all so beautifully. I did not realize that the (busy) end of the school year coincided so closely with your due date. You are amazingly strong and I will be thinking of you all this week!
ReplyDeleteVery best wishes for the coming days.
I can't believe your baby boy is going to be here so soon, how did the past 9 months go so quickly? Hoping that your foot feels better soon, and you get to hold off until you are ready to deliver.
ReplyDeleteCan you believe this school year is almost over?!!? And FINALLY your baby boy will be here! I'll be thinking of the 3 of you on July 2nd!!
ReplyDeleteWow those 9 months flew but I think it always does when it's not me! Hope you end the school year well and get to meet your little man soon!
ReplyDelete