Friday, March 29, 2013

An update...

My last post said how sick I was....and I was so sick.  I took off Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday March. 20-22.  This was after being off for March Break the week before.  Was still so sick on the weekend but went back to work on Monday knowing I was taking Tuesday off for Passover.  I managed to struggle through Wednesday and Thursday this week as I also have a 5 day weekend now (although any time I can be away from the kids this year is a gift to me - I can't remember ever having such a challenging year and not wanting to be at school).

I saw my OB yesterday, Thursday, for my monthly check-up and told him I thought I had a sinus infection - update, while so sick, and not sleeping I called Mother Risk, a hotline in the Greater Toronto Area for pregnant and breast feeding moms, to ask if I could take Dristan or Tylenol Cold and Sinus.  They gave me the green light.  My OB gave me a prescription for a sinus infection.  I filled it, only because today was a holiday and I didn't want to be stuck if I needed it.  Plus, my health plan covers it 100% so no money lost.  The headaches and stuffiness continued today so I did take a Tylenol Cold and Sinus and I've actually been feeling quite good the rest of the day.  It looks like I won't need the prescription after all.

While I was sick and not sleeping, I did read a really great book - which is maybe also why I wasn't sleeping :)  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  Highly recommend it!

I heard about it originally on the Sirius morning show that I listen(ed) to - Broadminded - and they were ripped off the air.  I'm just devastated by this loss - any of you Broadminded fans?

Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all of you.  My family is religious and my dad goes to the synagogue on all Friday nights, Saturday mornings, and holidays (not to mention three times a day on a regular day as well).  But this means that our Passover dinners normally don't start until after he gets home - around 9:00ish...and then there is the Passover ceremony where you read from a book and follow all these traditions, so dinner tends to be around 10:ish if we rush.  This is also why we have stopped having people join us for the holidays...no one wants to wait so long and b/c my parents won't drive on holidays there is no family within walking distance.

I asked my dad if he could do a mini-Seder before he went to the synagogue so that SR and I could participate and eat dinner and then go home...then he could do a real Seder (dinner) with my mom.  He agreed, and it went well.  Especially because SR got to look for the hidden Matzah and get a prize.

Here's some Matzah!





 You are probably wondering why I get a 5 day weekend - Today is Good Friday (no school), Saturday and Sunday, the Monday is Easter Monday (no school), and Tuesday is the last day of Passover, and I took the day off because I am allowed 5 religious holidays so this is my fifth :)

Being that I have a five day weekend, my dad came over today and we put together SR's toddler bed.  She was thrilled.  She already sleeps on a cot for naps at school, so I knew the transition wouldn't be terrible for napping.
She's been hugging the packaging with her new "big girl bedding" for a few weeks now.  I went with Sesame over Dora because I figured if it lasts, it's more gender neutral.  The pillow case has Cookie Monster on one side and Elmo on the other.

 As soon as the bed was ready, SR spent about an hour climbing in and out, taking the comforter off and putting it back on, playing with her bedtime toys (Kaiya, Kaiya's blanket, and teddy bear) and just tiring herself out.


By the time nap time came, after lunch, SR was exhausted.  And she slept beautifully!

All snuggled in.  First time using a pillow.

Pretending to sleep before I said goodnight.

Sound asleep during her nap.
Now, I know many of you are struggling with the sleep issue right now.  In no way do I think I'm going to have an easy ride with this.  I did put SR down tonight absolutely exhausted and slightly past her bedtime.  I told her that she is not to get out of bed but to call me if she needs me.  I also bought her a new white noise machine that has a digital clock on it.  I covered up the minutes with tape and paper so all she can see is the hour.  I told her not to call me in the morning until the number said SEVEN.  That might be too much for the first night.  I also know that as she realizes that she can get in and out of the bed at night, she will probably do it, just as she continued to turn the light switch on and and off in her crib when she realized it was there.  People suggested that I cover it up or move the crib.  I know SR and knew the novelty would wear off, and it did.  Hopefully, when she does realize she can get up on her own, the novelty will be short lived.  I say this again knowing the struggles my online friends are going through and really feeling for them right now and knowing that in this 5 day transition where I don't have to go to work, I may find myself extremely exhausted at some point.  Maybe that's why I'm blogging now...b/c I may not get the chance later this week.

Lots more to share, but I've already gone on for a very long time.  I should try to blog more often as there is always so much more to say.  It's 9:40...I'm going to relax for a bit and try to get to bed early - not sure when SR will try to wake me in the morning.

6 comments:

  1. It's 1:14 am and I've been keeping myself awake. I'm having a terrible night. She finally called out to me now and I went running. She crawled out of bed as I got there and we had Huggies. Then she crawled back in. Now I hear some mumbling. Not sure if I'm scared she'll fall or scare me if she comes to my room and I'm sleeping. Why can't she just stay in the crib?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've been so sick - glad you're finally on the mend!

    SR is so cute! Looks like she enjoy her miniSeder. (interesting that my spellcheck doesn't mark that as a misspelled word. LOL)

    Finn's bed doesn't have a rail, and I can't put one in because of the design - he's fallen out 5-6 times (the last one a couple of days ago). It always wakes him up, but he usually goes right to sleep once I pick him up and put him back in bed. He's not been hurt at all. SR should be fine if she does fall out, even with the rail. As for staying in bed - it'll probably take a little bit, but she's so smart, you can reason with her now and I think she'll figure it all out fairly quickly. At least I hope she does! :)

    Enjoy your 5 day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A morning update. SR waited until the clock said 7 to make noise. Night one was successful for her and miserable for me. I'm exhausted. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Passover to you too! We are having our (short) Seder tonight, and I was wondering how patient a toddler would be for one, so thanks for sharing!

    SR looks so excited to have a big girl bed! Hope that you both get a bunch of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Passover! How great that SR gets to start learning about your religion and traditions, she is so cute in the photos with her matzoh. I think it may really help that SR sleeps on a cot so did Fiona and her transition from a crib to twin bed was quite easy. I kept the crib out for a few days and let her choose where she wanted to sleep and for a night or two she chose the crib but then wanted her big girl bed. I've also always been fairly strict about expecting her to stay in bed - (wasn't an issue until she was a bit older, though, so easier to explain my expectations). Hope it continues to go well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at her in her big girl bed! So cute and oh, that smile! Hope you are feeling much, much better now. Enjoy your last day of the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete