I just wanted to take a chance to remember the great and the not so great things about being pregnant...as this is probably going to be my last pregnancy.
I consider myself very lucky in the pregnancy department. I don't seem to get the typical horrible symptoms (heartburn - I don't even know what that is). In fact, being pregnant gives me all the hormones I don't produce naturally. I love being pregnant because the hair on my body does not grow at all. I am one of those who was unfortunately gifted with legs that needed to be shaved immediately after shaving them (one chill getting out of the shower and the hair popped back out) and lots of hair in general. I started using the Epilady several years ago and it has been an amazing time saver - and after doing it only once, it never hurt me again - so I never shave my legs anymore. But being pregnant, I don't even need to use the epilady regularly. My legs (and arms) stay silky smooth. I wish I could bottle this pregnancy stuff and always feel this way and be hair free.
The worst part for me are the really bad dreams I get nightly and the insomnia. I am awake more than I am sleeping. And of course, each time I wake up (think hourly) I need to get up to pee, and then check on SR to fix her blankets and see if she is okay. But really, no hair growth in exchange for bad dreams - I think I can handle the trade if this was indefinite :)
And this pregnancy has been enjoyable so far...I'm not really monitoring what I eat, although I'm not a huge over eater, but I am indulging in my treats regularly (without any workouts other than chasing a toddler around).
THE BIG BED vs. TODDLER BED debate and update:
As the new baby is coming and will be eventually sharing SR's room, I need to start to transition SR out of her crib (I will need it after the baby is finished sleeping in the bassinet in my room) and I don't want SR to feel like I kicked her out. She sleeps in a cot at school, but is quite comfortable in her crib at home. Her bedroom is quite small, but I know I can fit a twin bed (was thinking a mates bed with the drawers at the bottom for space) in the room as well. I just need to shift the furniture around a bit and I would still have floor area for playing.
But one thing about SR is she is not agile. She does not climb, she is clumsy and trips over her own feet, she is not adventurous...she is just now asking to climb onto the couch beside me, and needs me to help get her up. I consider myself very lucky actually. She is very easy to watch or walk away from.
My mom is also a very overprotective grandmother. She worries about SR getting hurt...a lot :)
So my mom generously offered to buy SR a toddler bed and mattress if I decided not to go with a twin bed. Her logic being that the toddler bed takes up less space and it is closer to the ground so SR would not risk falling while climbing in or out of the bed.
Who am I to argue with a free toddler bed? I'm under 5 feet so SR has the short genes...her donor is 5'11" (I think). SR is in the 30th percentile for height, whereas I was always in the 5th...so she's taller than I was, but not so tall that she will outgrow a toddler bed quickly. I'm not so worried about being able to climb into bed with her. We do our nighttime routine on the living room couch - I never bought a glider b/c her bedroom is too small.
And so SR will transition into a toddler bed in the near future. I will have to get a pressure gate for her bedroom door - she can open the doorknob and I don't want her scaring the crap out of me in the middle of the night appearing at my bedside. I leave my blinds open in my living room/dining room, so the condo is well lit at night. She would easily find her way to my room at night. I know that at the beginning she will want to get in and out and will try to call to me.
Did I share about when she found her light switch and was turning it on and off by herself? People kept telling me to move her crib or cover the light. I disagreed. It was something new - she was super proud of herself. I praised her, but reminded her to leave the light off to sleep. After about two weeks, the novelty wore off. SR rarely even touches her light switch now. I feel it will be the same with climbing into and out of her bed. It will be a fun couple of weeks and then the novelty will wear off.
Before I go, it was the Jewish holiday Purim this weekend. I dressed SR up like Queen Esther (from the story of Purim) to go to a Purim carnival. I cut out the crown and she decorated it with stickers and crayons. She's not a "dress" girl, but wore it b/c it was a "costume." Here she is:

It's interesting that she is not physically adventurous as she is so precocious in many other areas! I think you are lucky. I am hoping the horror stories of the mayhem of multiples are not what is in my future (picture children climbing up dressers and out windows - not a worry at my house, but you get the idea). Also, it sounds like pregnancy is kind to you. I am sure that makes a pregnancy with a toddler much easier.
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to forgive my cold-addled brain but when I read you'd have the baby in a bassinet, my brain read "basement" I thought, "Wait, what?"!!
ReplyDeleteI like your approach to the light switch/getting out of bed thing. I find if I let Elena explore stuff she loses interest quicker than too many "no touching" which seems to peak her interest.
Have you considered a twin bed mattress placed directly on the floor? Only thing about toddler beds is that they are such a temporary solution - of course with your having baby #2 you will get double the use of it, so I guess it may be a great idea! I had a tall bedrail on Fiona's bed and she only once ever fell out the foot of the bed. I just took the bedrail off last week and she hasn't fallen out yet :) It is interesting that SR is so advanced with language and yet slower with motor skills - I wonder if in 20 years she will be a linguist and Carys will be a gymnast :)
ReplyDeleteSR looks adorable in her crown!
ReplyDeleteI, too, went back and forth about the toddler bed/twin bed issue. My first son did end up in a toddler bed from ages 2-4. I thought it was great but I think it was more for me than for him. I wasn't ready to see him in a twin bed--he was still my "baby". Yes, I have trouble letting go, I know ;)
Do you live anywhere near an IKEA store? I found that their inexpensive but sturdy furniture is great for transitions when I don't quite know what I want. Just a thought.
Don't worry too much, like you said, the baby will be in a bassinet for a while. May it will be SR herself who will guide your decision--you could go shopping with her (a special mommy and me experience) after the baby is born.
Glad to hear you are feeling pretty well these days, hopefully the insomnia will cease soon.
ReplyDeleteHappy Purim! I used to always want to be Queen Esther, SR makes a great one!
I also didn't have to shave during my pregnancy. It was wonderful. Annelise doesn't seem very adventurous either. I think that's why she was late crawling, she never seemed to want to go anywhere.
ReplyDeleteI'd go ahead and take the toddler bed if its being offered. It could be a good transition and with two you'll get the use out of it.
What a pretty queen Esther! Love the crown:-)
ReplyDeleteHope the transition goes well.