I've said it before, I'll say it again...being a mom of 2 is hard! Before I get into the story, I'll start it by saying at one point yesterday early evening, I had SR crying hysterically behind me, I had J-Bear lying on the breastfeeding pillow crying b/c he couldn't reach his milk (me) because I was trying to adjust SR's freezie and I was trying to talk on the phone on speaker - I just started laughing...
So SR missed her first official week of preschool. She transitioned last week from the toddler room to the preschool room, but this was her first week. She had tonsillitis. My poor little baby - what a nightmare - she was so sick starting early Tuesday morning (5am) with a fever. I told her I was giving her medicine to feel better, which in her mind also meant a freezie after and snuggling on the couch with me watching TV. Right, b/c at 5 am after being up a couple of times to breastfeed, that's what I want to do. But I did it. I gave her the medicine and we snuggled with a freezie. Of course, climbing back into bed at 5:30, J-Bear wanted to eat :)
And so after a wonderful long weekend of playdates, SR has been home sick from school all week. We've had some good times, but she goes a little stir crazy inside, and I feel like the worst mom sticking her in front of the tv, eyes glazed over, but she's sick. I did get her out to the park a couple of times. And when SR has a fever, she is even more of a chatty cathy than she normally is - just never ending stories and explanations. It's very cute.
But today she was feeling better. It's Rosh Hashana, so I wasn't sure if I was going to send her to school anyway today, but she stayed home with me. We went to my parents' for lunch and her nap and J-Bear went with me to the dentist - my phantom tooth (did I mention I had a tooth extracted a few weeks ago) continues to cause me pain deep down.
While we were eating dinner, I got a text message from my neighbour telling me our power was out. I'm so one-track-minded - I was worried about missing Big Brother on my PVR (I think that's like TiVo in the states). Even though I could catch it again on time shifting. But when I got everyone home way past SR's bedtime (J-Bear fell asleep in his car seat and is still sleeping there now by the front door) and there was no power and SR was screaming for TV after her bath (which we couldn't do without power), and I was digging out my old corded phone (b/c the cordless ones wouldn't work), and I worried about my dying cell phone battery, I realized, MY BREASTMILK SUPPLY IS IN THE FREEZER!!!
I had already gotten the kids upstairs in the one working elevator and my options were to take my chances, get the kids back out the door and over to my friend's parents' house across the street, or back into the car to drive the milk around the corner to my parents' house. Luckily the power came back on shortly after.
I'm exhausted! J-Bear is pretty much sleeping 12 hours with only a couple of short wake ups to feed in the night. But I was also getting up with SR too. Luckily she's feeling much better!
I'm keeping her home from school tomorrow - I'm going to take the kids to my parents' synagogue for an hour and go back to my parents' for lunch. I'm hoping while SR naps there, I can take J-Bear out to run some errands.
I really want to write an update on SR. Her language development is astounding for 2 1/2. She speaks beautifully and uses descriptive words. And I'm teaching her to read. But her memory is terrific too. Here's SR reciting a poem she learned with me: Chicken Soup With Rice
I'm going to shut down the computer - so tired and I need to get J-Bear's pyjamas all ready for when he wakes up in an hour or two to feed - I can't leave him by the front door all night, can I?
Sounds crazy!! As hard as it sounds, you also sound very happy, so that's good!! E & I have to get over to visit!! After SR is all better though! ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, yes--it's a juggling act and then something like illness throws us a curve. But you are doing GREAT! You will look back on these days and realize how strong you really are!
ReplyDeleteI hope SR is fully on the mend - Finn loved her video! I hope she enjoys preschool next week!
ReplyDeleteThe video was so cute, L loved it.
ReplyDeleteSo cute how she recites the poem!
ReplyDeleteGlad she is feeling better.
Shana Tova!